Interoperability Working Group Home Page
Interoperability Working Group Charter Has Expired
The IDE Working Group was chartered from 2007 through 2010, published:
as official OpenAjax Alliance Specifications, helped produce various white paper, coordinated with OpenSocial Foundation on integrating OpenAjax Hub 2.0 into OpenSocial Gadgets 1.1, worked on various other initiatives (e.g., OpenAjax Registry) and the charter expired at the end of 2010.
Interoperability WG Rechartering Approved
OAH 2.0.1 open source update posted
The 2.0.1 release of the open source reference implementation for OpenAjax Hub 2.0 contains the following updates:
- No more clicking sounds on IE6/IE7. With Hub 2.0.1, we borrowed a coding trick from OpenSocial Gadgets to pass messages across frames in IE6/IE7 that avoids the clicking sounds that occurred with the 2.0 open source.
- Refactoring and consolidation. The Hub 2.0.1 code was refactored in a significant manner, with the result that the code is smaller and cleaner. This refactoring is also a major step in the direction of allowing OAHub to be integrated into OpenSocial Gadgets for inter-gadget pubsub.
OpenSocial/OpenAjax Integration Underway
OpenAjax Alliance is collaborating with the OpenSocial Foundation and the Apache Shindig project to merge the pubsub features from OpenAjax specs (mainly, OpenAjax Hub 2.0 Specification, but also a couple of features out of OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 Specification. Here are some pages that show work-in-progress:
Hub 2.0 Spec Approved
The Interoperability Working Group has approved the OpenAjax Hub 2.0 Specification.
White Papers Available
The Interoperability Working Group has written several white papers about the OpenAjax Hub 2.0. These white papers are available at the following URLs:
OpenAjax Hub 2.0 Reference Implementation Enhancements
We are working on some updates to the OpenAjax Hub 2.0 reference implementation within the OpenAjax project at SourceForge. These updates will probably be completed in late 2009. Here are some things happening with this source code update:
- Addition of a new cross-frame transport layer for IE6 and IE8 to eliminate the clicking sound with message passing when widgets are placed into Iframes
- Reorganization, cleanup, and improvement of the transport code
- Make progress on the OAHub 2.0 code to allow future sharing of cross-frame transport logic between a future version of Apache Shindig with a future version of OAHub 2.0 reference implementation
Howard has proposed a recommended event envelope object: Simple Event Envelope
Interoperability Working Group (v2) Approved
The OpenAjax Alliance Steering Committee approved the rechartering of the Interoperability Working Group as of January 12, 2009. The approved charter can be found at http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Interoperability_Charter_v2.
Interoperability Working Group (v1) Approved
The OpenAjax Alliance Steering Committee approved the creation of a formally chartered Interoperability Working Group on May 14, 2007. The approved charter can be found at http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Interoperability_Charter.
OpenAjax Hub 1.0 Approved
The members of OpenAjax Alliance and its Steering Committee approved the release of OpenAjax Hub 1.0 per our Development Process at http://www.openajax.org/process/DevelopmentProcess.pdf). The approved Hub 1.0 specification is at:
OpenAjax Hub 2.0 Approved
The OpenAjax Hub 2.0 specification can be found at:
The reference implementation of the OpenAjax Hub 2.0 can be found at the OpenAjax Alliance's open source project:
OpenAjax Registry Under Development
The Interoperability Working Group is far along in its work on the OpenAjax Registry. See:
The email list for the Interoperability Committtee is email@example.com. Archives can be found at: http://openajax.org/pipermail/interop/. To subscribe to this list, fill out the form at: http://openajax.org/mailman/listinfo/interop.
- Introducing_OpenAjax_Hub 2.0_and_Secure_Mashups
- OpenAjax Registry - Wiki page for the OpenAjax Registry
- OpenAjax Hub 2.0 Design Comments
- Conformance_Registry_Proposals_2008_March - Proposals for how to resolve remaining issues with OpenAjax Conformance and OpenAjax Registry
- OpenAjax Hub 1.1 Specification - Early draft of version 1.1 of the OpenAjax Hub specification.
- OpenAjax Hub 1.0 Specification - The approved version 1.0 of the OpenAjax Hub specification.
- OpenAjax Hub 1.1 Proposed APIs - Early work in progress that shows the Hub 1.1 APIs that are being developed within a branch of our open source project
- OpenAjax Hub 1.1 Roadmap - Jon's vision document from spring 2007
- InteropFest 1.0
- Best Practices
- OpenAjax Conformance
- JonFerraiolo Hub Proposals 2007-02-20
- JonFerraiolo Hub Proposals 2007-02-01
- InteropFest 2007 March
- Interoperability Communication - Initial page describing background information and proposals for adding communications/messaging features to the OpenAjax Hub
- Event Name Examples
- OpenAjax Hub - Executive summary of OpenAjax Hub for posting on our web site
- Page Processing Model/Toolkit Survey - Summary of the page processing models that exist today within selected Ajax toolkits
- Interoperability State of the World - List of scenarios today where toolkits interoperate successfully and where interoperability falls short
- Markup Mixing Nexaweb IBM 20060712 - This is a link to a working document from the Declarative Markup committee which contains a recent attempt to capture current thinking in that committee about how to achieve interoperability at the markup mixing level. It is relevant to this discussion because it talks about features and issues within the OpenAjax hub.
- OAH Proposal:
- Tibco Dojo Proposal Toolkit Loading, Markup Mixing - The is the wiki page for review, discussion and refinement of the Tibco-Dojo proposal on toolkit loading/unloading and mixing markups from different toolkits.
- (Historical) Alex Proposal 2006-05-24 - Alex Russell has submitted a proposal for a simple approach to toolkit interoperability, posted on the web at: http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/oaa.tar.gz. For preservation purposes, the proposal has been copied into this wiki at Alex Proposal 2006-05-24.
- (Historical) Image:Tibco-Dojo-Event-Hub-Proposal-2006-06-19.pdf - Tibco and Dojo have submitted a proposal for discussion and consideration that outlines an Open Ajax Event Hub (OAH) that provides standard methods for gracefully managing multiple toolkits in context of each other: a simple approach to toolkit interoperability.
- Alternate Hub Proposal Using XML Namespaces - Here is a proposal that attempts to provide the same functionality as the Tibco/Dojo proposal but expresses the markup in a manner that attempts to channel the spirit of W3C's architecture vision and thereby leverages XML namespaces. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but here it is for people to review.
A related technology effort is the XAP proposal that is now an incubator projects at apache.org. Here is a wiki page that provides an executive summary of XAP and includes links to detailed information on XAP:
James Margaris of Nexaweb pointed out that we need to have a clear definition of what we are trying to accomplish. Here are notes, which are mostly directed at the issue of markup mixing: